Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wednesday in Bucharest

It started after I wrote my last blog........I left my passport at the front desk of our Athens hotel and did not realize it until Thessoloniki (upper Greece). I called the hotel and arranged delivery to Bucharest. But that would be three days later and the scavenges where to take place between Greece, Macedonia, Bulgaria and Romania during that time..........I couldn't disappoint my partner Steve! As most of you know, if you travel extensively, a US citizen can receive a second passport after requesting permission from the government. I had that passport with me....so what is the problem you say. Try three.....1. Second passport expired in 18 days (governments typically want 6 months unexpired, 2. It had ZERO room for government stamps, and 3. It did not contain my entry stamp into Greece the day before.
We decided to leave one day early from our hotel due to the holiday closure of everything and this confused me evidently. I made it through the Greece border but not without a lot of work. They threatened a 600 euro fine, etc. but finally I prepared after showing my airline bording pass to Athens, etc.
Now three days later and after little sleep and massive transportation issues we are done with these four phases of the scavenges. We turn in our list later tonight and then fly tomorrow to an unknown destination before our final scavenge the day after in Toronto. These past few days brought us spectacular sites in Greece (Meteora's "columns of the sky") and Bulgaria (Rila Monastery)
That's all for now.....hope we can keep our lead!
Bart

No comments: